How Cannabis Can Be a Form of Self-CareJul 27, 2022
Until recently, there were only three proven therapeutic benefits of the increasingly popular cannabis plant (chronic pain treatment; chemotherapy-induced nausea reductions; and multiple sclerosis-related spasticity reductions). Cannabis is made of 113 chemical constituents called cannabinoids of which the most commonly known are THC (tetrahydrocannabinol- psychoactive constituent) and CBD (cannabidiol). Studies have tested whether cannabinoids can be used to reduce and maybe even replace the need for opinion in patients with chronic pain. Some of the findings from these studies include the following:
- Cannabis and cannabinoids provide significant pain relief over placebos
- Animal studies have found that cannabinoids can help reduce the dosage of opioids required to reduce pain
- Prescription opioid use and rates of opioid related deaths have decreased in states that have legalized medical marijuana
- Patients who use cannabis to treat medical problems, such as anxiety, had largely improved cognitive performance, reduced clinical and anxiety-related symptoms, and a reduced use of conventional medicines including opioids, antidepressants, and mood stabilizers
- THC has been found to decrease anxiety at low doses, and increase anxiety at high doses, whereas CBD has been found to decrease anxiety at all tested doses.
The above findings have proven that cannabis, in appropriate doses, can have positive effects on our well-being. Below are a few ideas on how you can incorporate cannabis into your self-care routine:
- Take a CBD gummy or use a different form of cannabis shortly before bed for sleep.
- Use marijuana during meditation to slow down and focus on the present.
- Add cannabis oil or a CBD bath bomb to your water and take a relaxing bath.
- Lather yourself with cannabis topicals including creams and balms for the skin and lips.
- Consume a CBD tincture or apply topically for relieving anxiety, insomnia, or pain.
Remember to experiment with dosing and figure out which forms of cannabis and which methods of use provide you with the most gratifying results. Enjoy!
Interested in our services?
Sign up for a complimentary wellness check up and see if we're a good fit!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.